Sunday 24th Nov –
Proof printing Te Tiriti.
Willy was the machinist working with the Cylinder KSD on Sunday morning. The first pull did not include the first 3 or 4 lines as they were off the page. We decided to move the type in the chase while it was still on the press bed. Something I won’t do again. It was difficult to wrangle the quoin key up against he rollers. The movement of the type was fine – nothing disrupted or knocked over, but there were issues after we’d taken the print.
Because this press is a flat bed, the integrity of lock up, once in the machine, is not as essential as in a clam shell press. So, because the chase was unlocked on the bed and relocked when we went to take the chase out of the machine and return it to the stone, it wouldn’t lift. And the process of locking it well enough to lift while it was still in the bed was frustrating and more difficult than it needed to be.
In working with the lock up in this way, I ended up with the treaty on my hand.
Te Tirti was in a single chase on Sunday. We took a single full proof.
Wednesday 27th Nov –
I made all of the corrections and added the colophon info at the base. The double line at he base of the text needed some inspiration. The two lines are not the same, and the double line brass rule we have did not have this variation. In the end I have gone with two pieces of single line brass rule one turned upside down which will give a thicker line. I haven’t seen this printed yet so I’m unsure if it will be sufficient.
I split the text in two. The preamble and article 1 in one case, the remaining text in the other. The second half of the text has incorrect k’s and a’s just as He Whakaputanga did. Once the first section is printed I will diss this and replace the required sorts for the second half.
We will print a second proof on Sunday 1st December and all going well the full treaty will be printed.